lunedì 11 marzo 2013

KV / IS tanks family

Some of these kits have been already shown, but a couple more photos won't harm anyone - I hope.

Altri kit sovietici, questa volta della famiglia KV / IS. Alcuni sono già comparsi in post precedenti.


In the photo above, upper left a ISU-152, kit from Italeri. This is the full kit, the box had one full kit and a fast assembly one, which I gave to a friend. Lower left, a IS-122, again from Italeri, and again from a combo box, the fast assembly one again I gave to a friend (a different one this time, though).
Upper left, a KV-2 from Forces of Valor.
Lower left, a KV-1 from Italeri (an ESCI reissue).

Sopra a sinistra, lo ISU-152 Italeri, dalla scatola "combo" (1 kit normale + 1 kit fast assembly; quest'ultimo l'ho passato ad un amico). Sotto a sinistra, lo IS-2 sempre Italeri, e sempre da una scatola combo (ed anche in questo caso il modello fast assembly è passato ad un amico. Destino?)
Sotto a sinistra il KV-1 Italeri (ex-ESCI), mentre sopra di esso il nuovo KV-2 di Forces of Valor.


Above the ISU-152, I liked this kit, it's easy to assemble and has nice details. It's very simple and easy to put together, and makes a good starter's kit, if you want to try a full kit with link and length tracks.
The camo is the usual green one, I couldn't resist the "huge number and motto" decals. 

Lo ISU-152 è un kit divertente, con pochi pezzi ma ben dettagliati, e soprattutto facile da montare, adatto quindi anche ai meno esperti che volessero provare a montare un mezzo con cingoli "a pezzi".
Mimetizzazione classica in verde, però vivacizzata dalle decal.


Here the IS-2 Stalin, this kit shares many components with the ISU-152, not surprisingly.
I chose this camo, I know it's unusual but at that time I was momentarily fed up about plain green tanks.
The numbers I painted by hand, the decals were too large and interfered with the hand bars.
Other photos here.

Sopra lo IS-2 Stalin, kit che non sorprendentemente condivide diverse parti con lo ISU-152.
La mimetizzazione è inusuale, ma una piacevole alternativa al solito verde uniforme. I numeri sono dipinti a mano, visto che le decal relative erano troppo grandi e cozzavano con le maniglie.


Above the KV-2 and KV-1 couple. The kits are fairly compatible, sharing similar dimensions and shape.
Take note that the KV-1 is a late production one, while the KV-2 is an earlier one.
The KV-2 is shown in greater depth here and here.

Sopra, il confronto tra KV-2 e KV-1: i kit sono compatibili, avendo dimensioni e proporzioni simili. Da notare che il KV-1 è di un modello più recente rispetto al "cugino".


The KV-1. The radio antenna is made of stretched styrene. The kit while old would be still a good one weren't for the awful tracks: polyethilene ones, too short, too stiff, ungluable, pratically unusable. I finally managed to put them up, after braking some wheels, and the started to crack. Disappointing....

Il KV-1: un kit potenzialmente buono nonostante l'età, se non fosse per i cingoli a dir poco orribili: in polietilene duro, non si piegano facilmente, sono troppo corti, di dipingono male, non si incollano affatto, e subito dopo averli montanti, hanno cominciato a sbriciolarsi.... 
L'antenna della radio è in stirene stirato (ma si chiama stirene perchè si stira facilmente?)


The KV-1 compared with the british Light Tank Mk VI by Airfix (more infos here).
Ok that the mk VI is 1/76 rather than 1/72, but the difference in size is still impressive!

Un confronto tra il KV-1 e il Light Tank mk VI britannico (Airfix). Va bene che il mk VI è in 1/76 e non 1/72, però la differenza di dimensioni è impressionante!






4 commenti:

  1. Very nice finishes on all of these, Giano. It's so difficult to get the overall dark green to look effective in 1/72 - 1/76, but you've managed it!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thanks!
      I've tried all techniques before settling down with a heavy drybrushing (base color plus a drop of white or sand), and after that some black washing.

      On camouflaged tanks I change technique each time, according to the style of camouflage.
      On the IS-2 I drybrushed every single patch of colour with a different tone, but usually I apply the camouflage on the base colour then I highlight everything with light grey or some other light colour, thus without any drybrushing.

      The only technique I always use is a bit of black wash down every crevice.
      Once or twice I also tried dark filters over all the surfaces, but it didn't work too well.

      Elimina
  2. Lovely! A great selection here Giano, well done.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thanks Paul! I'm sorry that I can't comment on your posts, I really like your collection and I wished to say, but still I can't figure how to comment on the "new style" blogs (maybe I miss some upgrade on my browser?)

      Elimina