mercoledì 27 febbraio 2013

Revell Micro Wings pt 1

Revell has recently re-released some of its old 1/144 sets, but I had some from the original release.
I found them at a flea market some years ago, they were cheap but I couldn't buy the whole lot.
Luckily Revell decided to re-release them, even if at the moment only 8 kits from the old range have been re-released.

Let's have a look at my old stuff then, I hope this post will be helpful to those who are interested in this sort of kits, so they know what to expect from this range.


Above the whole lot. Note that not the whole range is here, because I didn't manage to buy them or I simply didn't find them. One of the kits (the Ju-87) is from the re-release, all the other are old kits.
Take also note that all the kits come with a small stand (not very stable to tell the truth), with a small plaque holding the name of the aircraft - a nice touch!


The japanese aircraft. These are the most interesting part of the series, with the less obvious choices.
We have a Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien (the silver and green one), a Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa (the khaki and green one), a Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate (the plain green one) and a Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki (the silver and red one). It's nice that all the plaques bear the original japanese names, rather than the horribly silly allied codenames. I seem to remember there were also a Zero and a Aichi D3A in the range, but my memory might fail me.


Above we have a couple of german birds, a Messerschmitt Me 262 (the dark green one) and a Iunkers Ju 87 Stuka (the green and sand one). The Ju 87 is a re-release, the other is old instead.
Other german kits of this collection were the Bf 109 and the Fw 190 - which in fact have been re-released together with these two.

An overall consideration about the range: the kits are nice, decently detail for their small scale, but really simple. Each kit had only one choice of decals, and in fact decals were the same between several kits. Not much accurate it seems...
The re-release has again only one choice of decals, but they seem to be unique to each kit, and that's a huge improvement. The mould never had been perfect it seems, indeed even older kits had already some minor faults, but that's not a big problem.
All the kits are designed to have the landing gear down, but it shouldn't be a lot of trouble to amend this, apart on a couple of kits, as the Me 262.

Take note that I didn't follow the proposed painting scheme on these, apart maybe a couple of kits, and I didn't use some of the decals either, because old decals were quite bad. Some of the markings are hand painted. The decals on the Ju 87 were really good instead, so this seems to be another improvement on the old series.

Are these kits recommended? Yes, definitely, especially if you plan to use them in wargames - just provide them some more stable stands. But don't expect too much from them as display models.

Stay tuned for the allied part of the collection...



2 commenti:

  1. Some great work in there Giano, thanks for sharing.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thanks Paul! Not a great work really, but they're small and I took my photos from a distance so mistakes are well hidden ;)
      PS It seems that I can't post any comment on your blog (and on other blogs too), is it possible that I need to upgrade my browser or something of the kind?

      Elimina